Chiang Mai To Phi Phi Island
How To Get There in 4 Different Ways
Table of Contents
Looking to get from Chiang Mai To Phi Phi Island? Here’s everything you need to know!
It’s fantastic when you think about relaxing on the white sand beaches of Phi Phi Island– with a glass of cocktail in hand under the breezy palm trees. You can have tons of adventures to do in this splendid archipelago during the daytime.
Then comes the sundown when the vibrant nightlife of this place begins. You can dine, wine and dance to your heart’s content!
Use this quick table
|Travel Method||Details||Duration||Cost (Approx, in USD per person)|
|Train, Bus & Ferry (via Bangkok)||From Chiang Mai to Surat Thani by train, then bus or taxi to Krabi, and finally ferry to Koh Phi Phi.||30-40 hours||$40-200|
|Plane, Bus & Ferry (via Krabi Airport)||Direct flight from Chiang Mai to Krabi, then bus or taxi to Krabi town or Ao Nang, and ferry to Koh Phi Phi.||7-9 hours||$65-120|
|Plane & Ferry (via Phuket Airport)||Direct flight from Chiang Mai to Phuket, then ferry or speedboat to Koh Phi Phi.||6-8 hours||$70-140|
|Bus & Ferry (via Krabi)||Tourist bus from Chiang Mai to Krabi with a stopover in Bangkok, then ferry to Koh Phi Phi.||23-26 hours||$48-65|
Sounds like a lot of fun, doesn’t it?
That’s Phi Phi Islands in the Andaman Sea in Thailand. If you’re curious and want to get the feel of it, you can pack your beach attire and visit yourself.
If you’re from Chiang Mai, you could be wondering how to get from there to Phi Phi. The best and fastest way to do it by far is to go there via Krabi or Phuket. That’s by traveling by plane and ferry.
Chiang Mai is 1520 kilometers far by land from Phi Phi if you take the via Bangkok, Krabi route. If you take a plane from Chiang Mai to Krabi and the ferry to Phi Phi, it will take about 7 to 9 hours. Your fare will cost somewhere from USD 65.00 to USD 120.00 per person.
You can likewise take the Chiang Mai to Phuket transfer, where from the latter, you take the ferry to get to the archipelago.
If you have plenty of time to spare and want to get more adventurous, you can opt for the train/bus and then ferry modes of traveling from Chiang Mai to Phi Phi. You’ll have to via Bangkok (also see routes from Bangkok to Phi Phi and Koh Samui to Maya Bay) and Surat Thani this way. You’ll spend less for your fare at USD 40.00 to USD 200.00 through this alternative, but you’ll consume a lot of time in your 30 to 40 hours of journey. Your expenditure depends on whether you take the first, second or third class train.
What Are The 4 Ways To Travel From Chiang Mai To Phi Phi?
1. Train + Bus + Ferry From Chiang Mai To Phi Phi
Train from Chiang Mai to Surat Thani via Bangkok
- From Chiang Mai, you ride the train to Surat Thani passing by Bangkok
- Surat Thani has the nearest railway station to the town of Krabi which is about 240 km northeast of it
- Trains going this route are comfortable- modern seat or sleeper. There are toilets and you can buy food and drinks
- From Chiang Mai, you transfer to Surat Thani by train where the fare costs from USD 16.00 to USD 100.00 per person
- While traveling this route, there is a stopover in Bangkok where travel time is 22 to 30 hours.
Bus or Taxi from Surat Thani to Krabi
- From Surat Thani, you take the bus, taxi or minivan going to Krabi
- If you take the bus or minivan, it costs USD 8.00 to USD 20.00
- If you take a private car or taxi, expect to spend USD 70.00 to USD 125.00 per car
- Travel time for either of these vehicles is 4 hours
Ferry or Speed Boat from Krabi to Koh Phi Phi
- A ferry or speed boat can be taken to get to Phi Phi from Krabi
- Ferries or speedboats going this route are modern
- Fare costs somewhere from USD 13.00 to USD 33.00
- Travel time is 1.5 hours to 3 hours
2. Flight + Bus + Ferry from Chiang Mai To Phi Phi
Direct Flight from Chiang Mai to Krabi
- You can take a direct flight from Chiang Mai to Krabi
- The flight lasts for 2 hours
- Airlines you can take are Nok Air, Thai Air Asia or Bangkok Air
- Airfare costs USD 30.00 to USD 80.00
- Flights stopping over in Bangkok are also available
Bus or Taxi from Krabi Airport to Krabi Town or Ao Nang
- You can take a taxi or shuttle bus from the Krabi airport going to Krabi town or Ao Nang
- Taking the bus or minivan from Krabi airport to Krabi town costs USD 8.00 to USD 12.00
- If you take a taxi from and to these points, you’ll pay USD 17.00 to USD 33.00
Ferry/Speedboat from Krabi to Koh Phi Phi
- Your jump-off point to travel by ferry or speed boat to Koh Phi Phi is the various piers in Krabi
- From the Krabi pier to Phi Phi via ferry or speedboat, the fare costs USD 13.00 to USD 33.00
- Travel time through this option is 1.5 hours to 3 hours
3. Flight + Ferry From Chiang Mai to Phuket to Koh Phi Phi
Flight from Chiang Mai to Phuket
- You can take a direct flight from Chiang Mai to Phuket
- Travel time for the flight is 2 hours
- Airlines you can take are Bangkok Air, Nok Air, Thai Air Asia, Thai Smile
- Airfare ranges from USD 50.00 to USD 90.00
- Speedboat/ Ferry from Phuket to Koh Phi Phi
Ferry or Speedboat from Phuket to Phi Phi
- Ferry or speedboat can be taken to get to Phi Phi from Phuket
- By boat, the fare costs USD 18.00 to USD 50.00
- Travel time is 1.5 hours to 3 hours
4. Bus + Ferry From Chiang Mai to Krabi to Koh Phi Phi
Tourist Bus from Chiang Mai to Krabi via Bangkok
- Via Bangkok, you can take a tourist bus from Chiang Mai going to Krabi
- From Chiang Mai, then stopover in Bangkok going to Krabi, bus travel lasts for 23 to 26 hours
- Bus companies you can take are Songserm, Lignite, Jolly Travel, Paradise Travel
- Bus fare is USD 48.00 to USD 65.00
Ferry or Boat From Krabi to Koh Phi Phi
- You can only take the ferry or boat to cross from Krabi to Phi Phi
- Ferry or boat tickets cost USD 13.00 to USD 33.00
- Travel time to get from Krabi to Phi Phi by boat or ferry is 1.5 hours to 3 hours
Koh Phi Phi to chiang mai
Whatever your preference is, depending on how much you can spend in terms of time and money, you can choose the best way to get to Phi Phi Island from Chiang Mai.