Phi Phi Island day trip: Everything You Need To Know
The islands of Phuket are amazing tourist destinations. If you’re looking for an island adventure that’s not too far from Phuket, taking a day trip to Koh Phi Phi is a great choice. There are plenty of things to do on this beautiful island of Phi Phi and it’s easy to get there by boat or speedboat from Phuket itself or Krabi if you’re staying in either of those towns.
When visiting Koh Phi Phi, be sure to spend some time exploring the beaches (there are three) as well as learning about the island’s history at its museums and shrines.
Getting to Koh Phi Phi
The next step is to get to Koh Phi Phi.
If you’re staying in Phuket, it’s a short and easy trip by speedboat. There are also ferries and catamarans that run between the two islands, but they take longer than the speedboats because they stop at several different locations along the way (and charge more!). If you’d like a relaxing ride through scenic waters, however, these may be worth considering. In any case, once you’ve arrived on Koh Phi Phi it would probably be best not to spend too much time getting there again! The most popular route from Phuket takes about an hour by speedboat—so if your hotel has breakfast included in their room rate then there’s no reason why this shouldn’t happen before heading out for an exciting day of exploring island life on Koh Phi Phi!
Things to know about Koh Phi Phi
Before you visit, it’s important to know a few things about the island.
Phi Phi Island is an island in Thailand, located in Krabi province. It’s part of the Phi Phi Islands group which includes 13 other islands as well as several smaller ones. Koh Phi Phi Don (meaning ‘island with coconut trees’) is the largest and most developed island in this group. The beaches on Koh Phi Phi are known for their white sand and coral reefs, making them some of Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations.
Going snorkelling or scuba diving
Snorkelling around Phi Phi is the best way to see coral reefs and other marine life. You can rent snorkel gear or scuba gear at the pier for about $5 US. The price of renting a mask, flippers, and regulator is usually around $10-15 per day.
If you’re more interested in seeing more of the underwater world than just what’s above it, try scuba diving! There are several dive shops near Ao Nang Beach where you can rent equipment and take classes that last from one hour to two full days depending on your level of experience:
- Snorkel Asia offers introductory dives for $25 USD per person (including equipment rental) as well as longer sessions up to four hours ($65 USD per person). They also offer certification courses ranging from beginner through instructor level (instructors who complete their course receive free dive trips).
- Phi Phi Scuba Diving Centre runs similar courses starting at 650 baht ($18 USD) for an introductory lesson with equipment rental included; certification courses will cost 2200 baht ($63 USD).
How much is a Phi phi day trip?
The cost of a Phi Phi Island day trip from Phuket depends on where you’re staying but should be around 1,500 to 2,000 baht per person. A private boat can cost around 1,800 to 2,200 baht per person, while a shared boat costs about 1,300 to 1,600 baht per person.
A Phi Phi Island day trip costs slightly more if it originates at Krabi or Koh Lanta (around 2-3 hours away by car), and prices vary depending on how many people are traveling together. A private boat will typically cost around 3-4 thousand baht per person while a shared boat usually runs closer to 2 thousand baht (these prices may include travel time).
Things to do on Koh Phi Phi
Here are some things to do at Koh Phi Phi:
- Snorkelling. The best place for snorkelling is off the beach at Ao Nang, where you can see a variety of marine life including colourful fish and corals.
- Scuba diving. If you’re interested in scuba diving, there are several dive shops where you can sign up for courses and get certified as an open-water diver. There’s also a wreck just off the coast near Loh Dalum that offers further opportunities for diving experience (it’s called “The Caves”).
- Lazing on the beach. One of Koh Phi Phi’s most famous beaches is Long Beach, where you’ll find plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas available to rent so that you can relax while soaking up some rays or reading your book!
- Visiting Maya Bay. This was once a popular filming location for some scenes in “The Beach” starring Leonardo DiCaprio; unfortunately, due to overuse it has become something of an ecological disaster zone so it isn’t recommended to visit Maya Bay unless it’s absolutely necessary; however, if this isn’t possible then rest assured that there are many other beautiful places on Koh Phayam including Ton Sai Bay where there is still plenty going on despite being quieter than what most people might expect from Thailand (due mainly because there aren’t any resorts here).
If you’re looking for an island adventure that’s not too far from Phuket, taking a day trip to Koh Phi Phi is a great choice.
If you’re looking for an island adventure that’s not too far from Phuket, taking a day trip to Koh Phi Phi is a great choice. Koh Phi Phi is just a short boat ride away and it has plenty of things to do. You can go snorkeling or scuba diving at Shark Point, hike the Maya Bay Trail, or explore Monkey Beach (where monkeys are known to roam).
Koh Phi Phi is a popular choice for day-trippers and backpackers alike. With so many things to do on this island, you won’t be disappointed with your visit here!